What broke my update?

I’m not certain that it should (ie. that this is a mechanic), but it certainly would make sense that it would.

Yeah, would of course. I’m a bit confused with all these “*uld” worlds :stuck_out_tongue:

@freejack,

Please checkout the ticket that @Defman filed. I need the person actually experiencing the issue to participate in the issue.

• Carey

Alright, thanks, and where do I find this ticket for me to participate with?

@Defman … actually no, I guess the answers are getting a bit convoluted now. With Komodo Edit 5 and 6 the KPF files were used by me. Eventually I switched to individual templates that were saved in the toolbox, either with version 7 or version 8 of Komodo Edit, don’t remember exactly which of the two. Since then I’ve used nothing but my templates in the toolbox which were always located by default on the left side … automatically … after each upgrade. Perhaps using Linux has something to do with that? Can’t be certain though …

Apparently what happened with the upgrade to version 10, as well as the clean installations of versions 8 and 9 after I dumped version 10, somehow my toolbox was no longer automatically integrated on the left side of my window as before, but instead I received a view of the new/improved project manager … ??? Guessing …
That explains why I was able to locate my files there, without actually being able to use them as anticipated.

The colors are working fine, now that I switched back to the toolbox with my templates in them. It’s just my personal theme that appears to have vanished. I’ll look tomorrow in the profile section and see what’s there. Have to go for now, will be back tomorrow. Thanks again everyone !!! :relieved:

This is here, but I think it’s gonna be closed because it’s not valid?

There is no new improved project manager. Nothing has changed in projects or the toolbox in quite a while. Could you provide a screenshot? It sounds like you’re talking about Places and the Project pane (View > Tabs & Sidebars > Places) which have been around since Komodo 5.

Note that a *.kpf file is a Komodo project file. It’s not a template file. Any template (called snippets in Komodo) should have a *.komodotool file extension. Komodo project files can “hold” snippets in JSON format inside them which are unpacked and dropped into a .komodotools folder in your project root and are accessible in the Toolbox (View > Tabs & Sidebars > Toolbox) in a folder of your projects name.

Here is a link to download Komodo 6: http://downloads.activestate.com/Komodo/releases/archive/
I see you asked for that a few times. Not sure if you still need it. Sounds like you don’t any more.

• Carey

Thank you, careyh and everyone else. I wasn’t able to import any color settings from any profile that I could find on my Linux setup, but as far as I’m concerned the problem has been solved. By “New & Improved Project Manager” I was just being facitious because of how Komodo Edit changed things all by itself which then fooled me into thinking that my installed Komodo Edit would appear as it always had … without the project manager open. Since that literally hasn’t happened in years, I was left to assume that something had changed specifically with the Project Manager, thus causing it to be open by default while my normally open Toolbox “disappeared” as it was no longer open for me to see. Creatures of habit we are, and I let myself get fooled by my own habits.

In summary, whatever quirks were going on had IMO nothing to do with the repository updates since I was able to duplicate the quirks identically with clean installs of Komodo Edit 8.5 through 10. Somewhere along the line “something” happened which caused my always open Toolbox on the left side of the screen to no longer be visible at that location at all … instead being replaced by the Project Manager pane which I haven’t used in years … this of course also being the default location for the Project Manager in the first place. :confused: :unamused: :scream:

I think it’s going to be quite some time before I upgrade again, we’ll see. The fact that my color theme simply vanished completely after the clean installation from the downloaded files tells me that whatever settings I had configured previously were simply overwritten. I know that in the World of software creation this is unheard of, but every once in awhile a product is simply as good as it’s going to ever get. I don’t see how Komodo Edit can ever be improved any further. IT’S THE BEST OF THE BEST and I say that after seriously messing around with dozens of Editors over the past 20 years. I’m just not a coding guru or platform developer who’d ever be able to reap the benefits of the “zillions” of mind boggling features that are all contained within Komodo Edit. So many features that it’s downright intimidating (for some of us). The notion of using something even more advanced, such as Komodo IDE, is simply inconceivable to me. :blush:

From now on I promise to open my eyes and take a better look after updating Komodo, to make sure that I know specifically which panes are open before I start believing that my templates are wiped out. I’ll say this though, if Komodo Edit had not changed the theme colors on me after the updates or new installations, then I more than likely would have paid more attention. But by having a theme that looked so radically different from what I used before, it was easy for me (or anyone else?) to assume that everything had changed, and not just the colors.
Ah well, live and learn! Kudos to all of you on the developement team! :grinning:

Don’t forget to answer Carey here: https://github.com/Komodo/KomodoEdit/issues/1755

Feel free to add this to github since I’m not going to sign up anywhere for a single one time use. Referring to the last comment made there:

cgchoffman commented 2 days ago
@freejack, when you see this, what I need from you is the original *.kpf file that was working as you expected before things blew up on you.

Please refer to comment #22 on this post to see exactly what was going on. The issue has in hindsight nothing to do with .KPF project files at all … What broke my update? - #28 by freejack … but the confusion of what schould NOT have happened (IMO) remains.

When an individual uses custom configured software on their machine which never changes its appearance over a prolonged period of time, then it’s only common sense (IMO) that if an update creates massive VISUAL changes such as using a radically different looking theme or swapping work panes, this could lead to massive confusion (for some).

That’s really the problem in a nutshell … After updating to version 10 of Komodo Edit, my Desktop appeared with a completely different dark (instead of customized light) theme, and the toolbox pane which I had configured to be on the left side by default years ago, was suddenly gone and replaced with the project manager pane instead. This happened later on with fresh installations of Komodo Edit 9 and 10 as well. Such a massive VISUAL CHANGE (which actually didn’t cause for anything to be literally broken) is enough to make a user think that something is very wrong. But that’s really all that apparently happened. There’s no KPF project file problem. It was strictly a visual problem with my custom theme and the toolbox pane not showing up automatically (at all) after upgrading.
Perhaps this should be another type of ticket … themes & pane locations … ???
Hope this helps.

Note that many of the issues you seemed to have were related to the UX/UI changes, which were unavoidable as we simply had to reset certain preferences to ensure the stability of Komodo. This is not something that will happen again any time soon, if at all. So upgrading in the future should have far less friction.

Settings are never overwritten when you update, they are copied over and then “upgraded”. You will always be able to access your old settings either through an older install of Komodo or by navigating to the profile folder.

Challenge accepted! :stuck_out_tongue: But thank you! Glad that despite your issues you are happy with our software :slight_smile: Note that whatever changes we make we always make it a point to cater to the users who might prefer the “old ways”, a good example of this is all the classic and platform settings under Preferences > Appearance in Komodo X.

I never thought I’d say this: but don’t ever try Komodo IDE if you think Edit has too many features … :wink: I will say we implement our features in a way that they are there if you need them, but don’t get in your face about it.

I apologize for the confusion, but once again this is unlikely to happen again. Komodo X made big changes to the UI exactly because we wanted something more stable and future-proof.

Thank you! And thank you for taking the time to simply write your thoughts down! Very much appreciated! I wish more people would do it :slight_smile: