Poor performance on Windows 10

Breadcrumbs uses a lot (65MB), other add-ons uses 1.33MB in total:

The DOM itself and its styles uses about 120MB:

JS Runtime (=Komodo functionality) uses about 259MB:

There’s a prompt dialog that uses 33MB:

The rest seems fine to me. I’m a bit surprised about breadcrumbs, it uses too much for itself. However, I’m not an expert at analyzing logs.

@Defman, that does seem like a lot for breadcrumbs but mines sitting at 40MB. I’m guessing if you look at yours you’ll see a similar number. Overall, that is not an odd memory footprint for Komodo. It’s a huge program. Mine will fluctuate between 200 and 600MB. Maybe more sometimes. Besides, unless it’s using ALL you’re memory then that shouldn’t be whats effecting the process.

@Meatwad, did you try @mitchell’s first suggestion?

• Carey

Mines using 0.22MB :stuck_out_tongue:
My add-ons are using 9MB in total.

Agree, Komodo IDE is a massive thing. But the op uses Komodo Edit, which should be much “lighter”, I think.

this

@careyh, yes I did. In fact memory was growing inside of safe mode and it crashed before I could take a memory analysis. I can’t speak for the memory consumption since I’m obviously not the designer but that seems excessive to me which is why I brought it up. If you feel that’s ok then maybe it’s ok.

The real issue is still remaining though. Performance is very sluggish and the autocomplete features, such as matching a curly closing brace when I type an opening, aren’t working. It appears to be because I am typing faster than Komodo can autocomplete. I’m not fast, BTW.

That’s fair but I’d challenge you to find an IDE that doesn’t have a similar footprint. It’s not a Editor remember so don’t compare it to Sublime or Atom or something like that.

Ok, start disabling features then and testing results. In preferences:

• Turn off Code Intelligence
  • Turn off syntax checking
  • Disable Source Code Control for the tool you may be using
  • Editor > Confirmation Dialogs: Disable Detect when files are changed

Wait…after reading your response it’s not clear to me that the slow typing continued in Safe Mode. Is that the case?

• Carey

careyh, I don’t think I saw the same sluggish response in safe mode but it did crash so I can’t say for sure if it would have. I did notice it steadily increasing in memory usage in safe mode. Once it hit approximately 400 M it crashed.

I’ll turn off those options and see what happens.

EDIT: Also can you tell me exactly how to find those options so we are on the same page?

• Prefs > Code Intelligence > Enable automatic autocomplete …
  • Prefs > Syntax & Spell Checking > Enable background syntax checking …
  • Prefs > Source Code Control
  • Prefs > Editor > Confirmation Dialogs > Detect when files are changed

narthanr, I couldn’t find the Source Code Control option but if it’s for integration with git/svn I’m not using it. I turned all the others off.

@Meatwad, My bad, I forgot you’re using Edit. SCC integration isn’t included in Edit.

Let us know how it goes with the other settings.

• Carey

Ok, I’ve turned off those options. I’m at 200 M memory usage today after about 48 hours running. I’ll post back again in a day or two to tell where I’m at.

You may want to watch the progress here as well:

• Carey

Ok guys I’m seeing the same behavior again after turning off the options listed above. I did another memory analysis for you. Right now memory usage is averaging about 430 M.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1vAxtlTn0TGVGZHOEdoQWp0Wm8&usp=sharing

What are your system specs?

430MB of memory is nothing abnormal for an IDE. Though that itself should not cause any slowdowns. Memory you either have or you don’t, an application that uses a lot of memory does not make it a slow application although that can often be a correlation.

Is this enough information for you?

Certainly, that at least tells us that this isn’t a hardware problem (unless you’re running a ton of other apps, which we’ll assume you’re not).

To clarify though, after disabling those prefs are you still noticing any actual slowdowns or are you simply going by memory usage and the crash?

@nathanr, yes I’m noticing the delay when I type but it is not as severe as I noticed previously. I’ve also noticed a delay when scrolling up and down but again it isn’t as bad after turning off the preferences mentioned above.

Can you give us a sense of how significant this delay is?

I would estimate that I type approximately 40 words per minute. At that speed I occasionally out-type some of the smart auto-complete features. Even after I turned off all the options suggested I see Komodo is still auto-matching my opening bracket with a closing bracket. Typing at my normal speed sometimes Komodo doesn’t keep up and match my opening bracket with a closing one. As far as timing I would say the letters appearing onscreen can slow down by about a half second between when I type them and when I see them. But it is not constant and is much less pronounced now that I’ve turned those options off.

Half a second is a lot. The most I’ve ever noticed is likely under 100ms.

So you cannot reproduce this in safe mode correct? Is the project that you work with large in size? Or perhaps the files themselves are large in size?