Not liking icons in the new Find dialog

The Find dialog is very different in 10.0 and, so far, it’s making things harder for me.

• Check boxes that used to have labels have been replaced with icons. The only way to know what they do is to float the mouse above them and look at the tool tip.

• Clicking on one of the icons toggles word matching. The button is Blue when its enabled and Grey when its off. The image is pretty small so you can’t tell at a glace if its on or off

• Another icon is used to control case sensitivity. Clicking it toggles between tT, T, and T*. It’s not intuitively obvious to me what each of these means.

• In prior versions, the modeless Find dialog appeared in the center of the screen. This was great because that’s where my eyes are usually focused. I have to spend more time moving my eyes now to look at the bottom of the screen.

It takes some getting used to, but it’ll make sense eventually. There’s always going to be an adjustment period to new things.

You can make a more contrasting blue by editing your color scheme preferences: Edit > Preferences > Color Scheme > Interface > secondary special. (We need to label these better in the future.)

This’ll become second nature in no time, I promise.

I have no trouble identifying on from off, perhaps the color scheme you are using is coloring them too closely? @mitchell’s suggestion should work in this case.

This is the way it worked in past versions too. I’m not a big fan of it either and it’s something that is likely to change.

It also overlapped your work and had to be moved around to be able to work with it. Sometimes people lost it altogether because it wasnt pinned. There’s pros and cons to the new implementation, but I honestly believe the pros outweigh the cons.