Komodo edit crash when loading

A belated followup:

I finally had time to try again to get Komodo Edit working on my system, now using the lasted version 9 release (downloaded today, but I can’t get to any kind of a help menu* to check the actual version number). I removed everything I could find on disk and in the registry related to Komodo Edit, and then did a fresh install. Trying to run it caused it to crash before the program window displayed. I then returned to this thread for reference and followed the steps outlined above, and once again this worked to get to a point where the program launches successfully.

Curiously, when I was running it with --raw -safe-mode all of the toolbar icons were emoticons, which made it interesting to find my way to the “preview” option. Luckily that problem went away when I restarted without those command line options.

Anyway, whatever was going on in Komodo Edit 8 regarding graphics acceleration and/or the Mozilla version seems to still be in effect in version 9.

*Regarding the help menu, clicking the three-stacked-bars icon in the upper-right will show a partial effect as if it’s trying to open the menu but what should be the menu is only about 10 pixels high despite being what looks to be a correct width. I assume this is a separate issue entirely, so I only mention this here to explain my earlier comment.

Updated to add: Found that I could enable the menu bar, giving access to Help | About, thus: version 9.1.0, build 15798, platform win32-x86

Did you delete your profile folder as well when reinstalling?

I would just use Komodo without graphics acceleration, for Komodo the difference would be fairly insignificant.

Yeah, I deleted that folder along with everything else I could find that might be Komodo-related before I installed again. Anyway, it’s good to know that the lack of graphics acceleration won’t make much difference. It seemed fine, but that’s with limited use so far. For those who are affected by this quirk, it would be great to detect the problem during installation (or first run), make the configuration change automatically, and then inform the user accordingly. Right now the failure to launch is puzzling.

I recently migrated from Windows 7 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit and I seem to run into the same or a similar problem. When I tried to start Komodo Edit (version 9.2.1, clean install) nothing appeared to happen. However, there was some data in pystderr.log, which I will paste below:

[2015-10-05 11:44:07,561] [INFO] Startup: Welcome to Komodo Edit 9.2.1 build 15998 (platform win32-x86, running on Windows 7 version 6.1.7601)
[2015-10-05 11:44:07,561] [INFO] Startup: C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo Edit 9\lib\mozilla\komodo.exe built on Wed Sep 02 02:48:28 2015
[2015-10-05 11:44:09,687] [WARNING] koLess: Clearing local and file cache
[2015-10-05 11:44:09,688] [WARNING] koLess: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.remove]"  nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://komodo/content/library/less.js :: koLess_cache_clear :: line 488"  data: no]
[2015-10-05 11:44:10,092] [WARNING] console-logger: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create (1) in resource://gre/modules/Preferences.jsm:381

Using the workaround described above by @CampfireStu I managed to get Komodo Edit working. Hopefully the information here is of some use in finding or fixing this issue.