Drag and drop in OS X creates a copy of the text and then crashes

As plain as it sounds. I have a new Macbook Pro 13" Retina, latest updates of everything and latest version of Komodo. I am working in a project that has a remote folder (not sure if that matters) and if a select text from a file and drag it to a new position I see a copy of the text appear and then the program crashes. Sometimes I have to do it a few times to crash the app, but each time it does make the copy. I’ve submitted a report when it crashed. This is a pretty common function for me so having it work is necessary.

S

Ah, one other small item as a side note. Komodo doesn’t open to the same size I close it as. It is in the same place, on the same monitor, but smaller (possibly the same height as the main display).

Can you reproduce the issue with a local file?

I knew you’d ask that, should have done it originally. Yes, it has the same problem. The problem is twofold, one the moved code is duplicated (instead of moved) and two, eventually after doing this a few times, the app crashes with this:

AdapterDeviceID: 0x162b
AdapterDriverVersion:
AdapterVendorID: 0x8086
Add-ons: abyss_skin%40activestate.com:1.0,analytics%40activestate.com:1.0.0,breadcrumbs%40activestate.com:1.0,commando%40activestate.com:1.0,getstarted%40activestate.com:1.0,icomoon%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_ambiance%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_blue%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_classic%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_cupertino-blue%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_cupertino%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_dark%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_light%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_orange%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_radiance%40activestate.com:1.0,iconset_yosemite%40activestate.com:1.0,industrial%40openoffice.org:1.0.0,klint%40dafizilla.sourceforge.net:1.4.0,koextgen%40activestate.com:0.2,komodospellchecker%40ActiveState.com:1.0,markdown-viewer%40activestate.com:0.3,openfiles%40activestate.com:1.0,railstools%40activestate.com:0.3.1,skin_classic%40activestate.com:1.0.1,trackchanges%40activestate.com:1.0,komodo-cfml%40we3geeks.org:0.2.4a0,golang%40activestate.com:1.3.3,zendframework%40ActiveState.com:0.8,kopy%40activestate.com:1.0,scope-bookmarks%40activestate.com:1.0,scope-combined%40activestate.com:1.0,scope-commands%40activestate.com:1.0,scope-openfiles%40activestate.com:1.0,scope-tools%40activestate.com:1.0,scope-files%40activestate.com:1.0
BuildID: 15745
CrashTime: 1430341861
EMCheckCompatibility: true
Email: scott atttttt boompayments ddddaht com
FramePoisonBase: 7ffffffff0dea000
FramePoisonSize: 4096
InstallTime: 1430196642
Notes: AdapterVendorID: 0x8086, AdapterDeviceID: 0x162bGL Layers? GL Context? GL Context+ GL Layers+
ProductID: {b1042fb5-9e9c-11db-b107-000d935d3368}
ProductName: Komodo Edit
PyxpcomMethod: {e2e8c6ce-d0b9-49de-a39d-496e9e5f32c4}::isEnabledFor
ReleaseChannel: nightly
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 107
StartupTime: 1430341776
Theme: classic/1.0
Throttleable: 1
Vendor: ActiveState
Version: 9.0.1
useragent_locale: en-US

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

Are you asked to send a crash report to ActiveState? That will contain more information about what Komodo was doing when it crashed. If you did submit a crash report, please PM me or @nathanr with the email address you used when you submitted.

In the mean time we’ll try to reproduce the issue on our side.

• Carey

Cool, I posted what it contained in my message (maybe you get other stuff) and I’ll PM you as well. I’ve sent it a few times.

*Actually, looking now it is in my crash report above… plus I can’t figure out for the life of me how to PM in Discourse. scott aatttt boompayments daht com

Click on the nickname of the user you want to send a PM and click “Private Message”

Yeah, I don’t have that.

Hmm, I think it’s because you’re a newbie on the forum.

Could you locate and copy your pystderr.log when Komodo has crashed (before restarting it) and post its contents here?

Wanted to follow-up here. I am transitioning to Mac from PC so I have been tied to my PC for weeks and finally back on Mac. I will get that file today.

Here you go, it’s large so here is the link:

That file is too large to be useful, and too large to be “normal”. Sounds like you may have a corrupted profile folder. Could you try a clean profile? https://community.activestate.com/node/15233

I’ve just been using 9 more frequently this month, and while I get the text duplication after dragging a selection, I don’t get a crash. I’m on Yosemite: Komodo Edit, version 9.2.1, build 15999, platform macosx. Built on Wed Sep 2 08:00:23 2015.

Should be a simple bug to fix???

Just because something is easy to reproduce doesn’t necessarily mean it’s easy to fix. This isn’t a problem where we simply “delete the line of code that created a duplicate line of text”.

Did you try a clean profile?

I didn’t state it would be easy, I merely asked. See the question marks?

Well, here’s to hoping it is easy.

And no, the clean profile didn’t help.

I guess you’re right. You said it should be simple :stuck_out_tongue:

This was reported in the bug tracking on Github and the issue is with Scintilla not Komodo. We’ll pull in the fix from upstream when it’s resolved. Issue #371 if you’re interested.

• Carey

Thanks for the update. I’m getting into the habit of cutting and pasting, in lieu of dragging… :innocent: